Monday, February 27, 2006

NIght Watch

Saw this weird Russian film last night, "Night Watch". It is a classic battle between good and evil, or "light" and "dark". It is supposed to be the first of a trilogy.

The review I read called it a cross between "Mtraix" and "Star Wars" which is why I hate reading movie reviews. The last time I read something that gratuitous it was a review for this piece of shit called, "Things to do in Denver When You're Dead" and the caption was "It outpulps Pulp Fiction!"

I assume the comparison was made becaise the movie tried desperately to mimick the in-and-out jump-around viniette style of Pulp Fiction, but it was void of anything worthwhile in the least. I could barely wait for it to end.

Thankfully, I disregarded the Nigt Watch review, but went in optimistic nonetheless. Well, it was pretty good, but I would love to see it in the hands of Robert Rodriguez or the Wachowski brothers. I'd also say (only if held at gun point) that it was a lot closer to "Highlander" in style and plot than either Star Wars (I have no idea where he came up with that, short of the god/evil thing) or The Matrix. Honestly, namedropping aside, I can;t imagine how The Matrix popped into the reviewer's head when considering comparisons for this film.

Anyway, without giving too much away fr those about to now rush to the theater to see Night Watch, it was interesting, had a great concept from which to work and moved along really well for about 9- minutes. It did begin to drag a bit and I was fighting to stay awake. It had an intriguing end that made me want to see the next installment, and the lead actor was damn good, language barrier aside.

I would say, it out-highlands Highlander, except that it doesn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Free Web Site Counters