Saturday, January 21, 2006

Day After tourney hangover

So the moment was fine, even though it was loaded with pressure and TV cameras all over the place, but it was okay, really.

Today, however, is somehow worse. After defeat often comes remorse, a cloud that darkens vision and makes you question yourself in new ways. Hindsight is 20/20.

Today I am practicing revisionist history. Why didn't I play more hands? Why didn't I mix it up more, throw in a few more bluffs, play rags here and there, try to steal more pots.

Last week, I considered myself a good players, capable of finishing in the money with smart decisions and a bit of luck. Today I question whether or not I can play the game at all. The prosecutor in my head is building a case against me that is beginning to sound pretty convincing. True, I was totally outclassed. It was unnerving, to say the least, that Joe Hachem appeared to know what I was holding half the time, as well as what everyone was holding most of the time.

I guess that's the difference between the best players in the world and a guy good enough to win internet satellite tournements. It was almost eerie as I read a little more of Dan Harrington's book. He describes the different kinds of players... not playing styles, but people in these tournements, and he basically described every player I saw all day, it was amazing. He described betting techniques f this guy of player and his mindset. It was as though Harrington was more of a psychologist than a poker player.

In retrospect, I would have to consider adapting a few new pitches to my game. Adding a curve and throwing a slider or a change up now and then. The one time I did this, I did score with a huge break and won a big pot, but hey... you can't play rags every hand. It is not surprisingly MUCH easier to do this on the internet than it is sitting across from world class players with TV cameras in your face.

Back to the drawing board.

Maybe I should focus on being a better comedian.

It's okay, the clouds will pass, but today, it is just a bit gloomy.

1 Comments:

Blogger GB (admin) said...

Whatever, dude. It was your first live tournament. Do you have any idea how valuable that tournament is going to be for you? I'm not just talking future poker tournies either. I mean, shit, you can take that experience to the bank wherever you go - Large, Christian comedy crowd, gun fight at Diva, your roomie trapped in a burning Amelia's. You can stare down the crowd and stick with your winners, bluff the gun toking criminal and walk away from the fire.

Now you know what to do and how to feel. You will do better next time.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Free Web Site Counters