Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Boston Comedy Festival, Prelim 7

Tonight's my night, kids. I think it's a pretty strong lineup, but I feel good about going out and knocking 'em dead. That's all I can do. I have no expectations except that I am going to destroy.

Lest I sound too cocky, I am my most brutal critic, so it refreshing that I feel this good about my comedy.

After taking what seems like forever off from comedy, I have really enjoyed coming back. My first time back was a ten minute spot with buddy Tim McIntire as Tingle's theater, which was great because I love McIntire and I love that theater. Monday's audition for the Carnival Comedy Challenge went waaaay better than I could have hoped as I free-wheeled, threw some off-the-cuff stuff out there adding jokes I wrote moments before the set and it all came off without a hitch. I even made the judges crack up, which is a little like eliciting a modicum of sympathy out of Donald Rumsfeld.

Last night, I took third in the Carnival Comedy Challenge Finals, which is ironic, because I REALLY REALLY wanted third. First prize was a gig in the next year on a Carnival Cruise, but I have already done private gigs on board, and was better compensated (by far), plus the restrictions on material are aplenty, and they ask a lot of you, while flying you in one day and out the next. Second prize was two weeks of gigs at a huge comedy club- in Birmingham, Alabama.

Third place however, gets you 8 dates on a tour with Heffron, a big booker with about 60 clubs called the Comedy Zone (I believe) across the country. They most likely make you part of a showcase that is touring, which is perfect for me. I love the idea of being part of a comedy group, much less pressure than when I am closing a show. I feel like it's all up to me. My best sets have been as part of a showcase or featuring (25 minute set) before a headliner I know is damn good and is going to kill.

So tonight, I am relaxed, ready to rock. I haven't even decided on a set yet, but I am leaning toward adding this little bit I just wrote (and tested out last night to a surprisingly good reaction.) I'm going to play it a bit by ear, but have a general idea of what I'm going to do.

Wish me luck, and maybe I'll see some of you there.

Comedy Connection, Fanieul Hall, 7 PM.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Free Web Site Counters