Monday, July 31, 2006

WSOP...this is it, gang

Well, here it is- the morning of Day 1D, the fourth and final day 1 for this year's WSOP. Many of poker's legends have exited already. Phil Hellmuth and Mike "the mouth" Matusow got bounced, to the joy of players around the world and the dismay of television executives. One of my favorite players, Dan Harrington, also got booted in his first round of play, a bummer.

As I mentioned, my friend Scott "Beau" Beauregard was ousted Friday. Our fellow traveler Kort Woeller played very well for 5 1/2 hours Saturday, but made one mental error and was out. I think he played admirably, considering this year's WSOP with it's world record 9,000 players, was his first live tournament ever.

I played another tune-up tourney last night and didn't fare as well as Friday night. This guy next to me pulled these bush-league cheap moves three times. The first of which was on me, and really had me upset.

I hit a set of eights (three of a kind) on the turn and checked it, probably greedily, and the remaining two players checked. The river saw third diamond come out, but I felt safe that there were no flushes out there. This guy checks out of turn. I say, "it's my bet" and bet out 500 chips. This clown throws all in over the top of my bet. In case you don't know, this is extremely unethical and dishonest. There is nothing at all wrong with a re-raise, but I felt he deliberately checked out of turn, and if it is deliberate, it is basically cheating.

The third player folded, and after some grousing and a quiz period, I folded and showed my third eight. I really wish I called now, and if he had the flush, I would have called the poker room manager over, as inducing a bet by deliberately acting out of turn calls for his hand to be dead,

Later, he pulled similar shenanigans when he raised under the gun (first position) but raise less than the minimum bet, indicating a weak hand. This calls attention to the entire table that he has raised, but not put in enough money. This is an extremely obvious way to feign a weak hand and get free advertisement, as the delaer is going to to tell him he hasn't put in a big enough raise.

I should have kept my mouth shut, but I said, "I'm folding unless I have rockets (aces)." Basically calling this guy out for the move, and announcing that I knew he had a huge hand and had made the "mistake" deliberately.

The hand progressed, and in the end, he showed down pocket aces.I couldn't keep it to myself, as I sarcastically said, "boy... I misread that. I put him on kings." To which the table got a good chuckle.

The best part was that he slow-played the hand and then got shaft on the river...sweet justice. Then again, I always say, if you're looking for justice at a poker table, you're playing the wrong game.

So, I have been sleeping like crap, or not sleeping, I should say. I just had my 4th consecutaive night of 3-4 hours. I had really hoped I would get a good night's rest before the big day, but it didn't pan out. I am totally exhausted, so I have no idea why I can't sleep, but it is brutal. I hope against hope that when I survive today's round, I can get some shuteye tonight.

Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

If this were the Wild West , wouldn't you have been able to shoot him ? Or , at least , string him up ? I hate people who yammer . ..

5:36 PM  
Blogger Korte said...

yes...yammering... it's bad all-around.

8:21 AM  
Blogger pokerjoker said...

Hey one of you buddies link your page on BSMW and I was reading about the crazy guy with the hat..

I was wondering if this was him

http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/pokerblog/archives/002933.php

3:26 AM  
Blogger Korte said...

YES!!! pokerjoker, that IS him with the "Wednesday's best hat" caption. That guy was a menace. He was solid and had a massive stack when he joined the table.

And pokerjoker... what is BSMW?

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Free Web Site Counters