Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Oblivious Cellphone Idiot

Every time I sit down to write something, I feel like I am one step closer to becoming a grumpy old man. I guess the fact that I blared a collection of Dead Kennedys classics at full bore on the highway today means that I am not yet mature, but my grumpiness and irritation and things having nothing to do with me continues to flourish.

I sat down for a crisp thin crust pizza at my new favorite restaurant (Cambridge One in Harvard Sq.) tonight and fled the joint in horror at the idiocy of the kid seated next to me. I feel like I'm seventy, but I hafta ask... what the helll was the kid thinking?

The kid with her was unable to make any decision whatsoever... what beer to drink, what pizza to get, whether or not to split a whole pizza or get two halves. About ten minutes into the date, the kid gets a cell phone call and proceeds to talk about nothing (How much his hotel is costing and various computery terms etc etc) for twenty minutes while this gorgeous girl sits there twiddling her thumbs.

Not that he should be on the phone if she was somewhat less than gorgeous, but it seems like even this twit would get that he should be grateful that someone so thick, oblivious and shallow should be graced with a date with anyone, let alone this stunning redhead... maybe it's the redhead thing that's getting me.

Sadly, the girl didn't even look surprised, just bored. Is this where we are today, where this kind of blatant self-absorption and rudeness isn't even a surprise. I couldn;t believe the chick didn;pt bolt.

I struggled to keep my big yap shut, but after the kid continued to talk for another ten minutes after their pizza arrived, while the girl sat and waited dutifully for this shmuck and a half to get off the phone, I felt compelled to make a snarky coment.

"You'd better eat that while it's hot, it'll be ice cold by the time this clown gets off the horn."

"Oh no, it's okay," she smiled.

The twit apologized at his importance and hung up immediately. I know I should have minded my own business, but what the hell was this kid thinking?

The quote that comes immediately to mind, is Capt. Renault (Claude Rains) to Rick Blaine (Bogie) in Casablanca, "How extravagant you are, throwing away women like that. Some day they might be scarce."

One can only hope.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dot Dwyer said...

It'll never happen. Women will put up with anything and men know it. If one woman won't stand for it, 2 more surely will, further down the line.She thinks it's all her fault, that she's the one that has to make it work.Poor little thing . . .

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Free Web Site Counters